Monday, July 27, 2009

Los Angeles (1920s)

This morning I got lost at the USC Digital Library and it always happens. I'll decided to look up something ... say, Downtown LA for the sake of seeing how downtown was in the past and I'll start looking around and typing in "miracle mile" or "Hollywood" just for kicks....next thing you know it, a hour or two passes !

For this post, I looked for well-known intersections in this city. In many photos, I recognized buildings that still exists today here in 2009. Hard to imagine some of these structures been around for 90 or more years ! Leads me to wonder how Los Angeles will look like in another 90 years. Will the Mann's Chinese still be there ? Will the Arc Light exist ? What will happen to the Hollywood Bowl ?

BTW : Click on the image to enlarge.



Venice. Electric sidewalk car (1920)



Culver City. Culver Blvd looking west (1929)



Hollywood. Hollywood Blvd looking east (1929)



Hollywood, Santa Monica Blvd /Western. Looking west (1927)



Miracle Mile, Wilshire/Fairfax looking east (1929)



Downtown LA, 4th & Main (looking west on 4th St) (date unknown)

No comments:

Post a Comment