Monday, March 1, 2010

"Araki: A Perspective" @ Prism (3/6)


"In the past, my stance was to focus on the sentiments that emerge through the relationship between myself and the subject, but when people come up to me these days or a married couple say, “Please take a photo of us,” I find that the sentiments or emotions that they have toward one another are much stronger than mine. I came to realize that I can get much more out of the shoot if I focus on the relationship that my subjects have among themselves, rather than the relationship between them and me. Shooting all those people taught me so much about the essence of human beings... You can’t do that kind of photography when you’re young—it’s way too embarrassing. But really, it’s the best thing. Like you’d go to the park during the cherry blossom season, and you’d see two children climbing on top of the father who’s lying down on a picnic mat, and the mother would be sitting demurely by their side. You just can’t beat that, you know? There’s nothing like it... "



March 6, 2010 – May 9, 2010

Prism
8746 West Sunset Boulevard
West Hollywood, CA 90069

LINKS
Vice Magazine interviews Araki (funny read !)
Honeyee interviews Araki
Lady Gaga by Araki

VIA

No comments:

Post a Comment