Thursday, March 4, 2010

Put Away Your Phone !

This week's Heather Mortion's new segment "The Whole Nine Yards" is on cellphones and tweeting, Facebooking, and so forth.

Here's a bit from the latest post :

If I have any rants I am sure it would be the same as a lot of photographers… for an assistant to keep the iphone/blackberry in the pocket. No texting, facebooking twittering while we are on set. As well, I have had [assistants] twitter photos of the stuff I was hired to shoot, which I think is really bad form. Even if it’s not a big secret ad shoot, it’s still my shoot, and they don’t need to be stealing thunder.

I admit, about 7 years ago, I was THAT assistant until I got lectured by the photographer. Before that it was easier - I had pager (you people remember those don'tha ?) You can't do much except read a phone number ! Funny, I remember my first assisting business card : my home phone and my pager number.

Anyone got stories from set ? Either as an assistant or photographer, stylists, MUA, producer, location manager, just comment below (you can be anonymous ^^)

2 comments:

  1. Don't touch your phone on set.
    Only time this is acceptable is a meal break or if you desperately need to find info pertaining to the shoot.

    I have dealt with other assistants that were manning a stand/light pull out their phone and go to town.

    Not to mention the number of times I have had to step in as hair/wardrobe stylist because they are off playing brick breaker or reading ashton kutcher's latest tweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was talent on the set of Gore Vidal's remake of Caligula. I was nude. I looked to the right as filming was going on and the MUAs, Stylists, Assistants, Second Assistants and on and on down to the last little person grunting gear were all standing around with their cell phones out taking pictures. I stopped the production and walked over to the producer and made them all delete every single image of myself. The casting agent was even there snapping away. If I could have screamed and yelled at each and every one of them I would have.

    This is probably the most rude tacky thing imaginable anyone could do on set.

    ReplyDelete