Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Print on Demand

I found this blog post ranking the print on demand (POD) publishers (via Joerg Colberg) which I thought y'all would find interesting.

So looks like about 100 people were invited to check out the 18 companies that produces books.

People were asked to rate these categories on a scale of 1 to 10: color, detail, binding and cover, spread (gutter), paper, bang for the buck, overall. There was a handout with other information, including notes on each interface, turn-around information, brand mark and cost. All books were the same amount of pages and used the same photos


MagCloud 6
Create Space 4.8
Comix Press 4.7
LuLu 5.7
Apple 7.4
Adorama 7.5
My Publisher 6.7
Blurb 6.7
Pikto 6.3
Shared Ink 7
White House 7
Mpix 7.1
Bay Photo 7.4
A & I 8.2
Embassy 6.3
Fastback 6.9
Paper Chase 7.3
Asuka 7.9

They are listed from inexpensive to expensive. Okay, so I've used MagCloud before. I originally thought of making leave-behind "magazine" of work but I have to admit, it looks like crap. Bear in mind, this was about a year to two years ago I did this so they may have improved but at that time, I wasn't impressed.

Apple I used years ago with their flip books - again, not really impressed but I am curious to see how they are today.

I have seen A & I and Blurb books and they both look great though I have heard stories of Blurb. Obviously your mileage will vary. And just a reminder that Blurb is doing an informal meet-up tonight over in WeHo - more info here.

A&I is here in town so you can always go by and check their books out. The other publisher I recognized is Paper Chase on Sunset Blvd.

I'm not too sold on their grade but at least you get an idea of what is out there.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for this information as I have been doing research myself on many of these companies. Used Blurp and Apple a couple of years ago but was not impressed. A photographer friend used Asuka and they did a beautiful job. Was going to try MagCloud next ... but not so sure now. I think I will check out A&I in Hollywood instead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Give MagCLoud a try. As I mention, your mileage will vary and it was years ago when they first started. Can't hurt ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. From what I've seen MagCloud has gotten better over time, but there is definitely a "you get what you pay for" thing going with any of these services. I've done both Blurb and A&I. Blurb has some paper quality issues that I can't get past, but A&I's quality is hands down the best I've seen to date. I think this poll is pretty accurate from my experience. A&I is the more expensive choice, but then if you care enough about how your finished product is going to be then that should not be a concern. Also, even though A&I is in the same city as me, I did the upload online, just as Blurb, and was very pleased with knowing that you get a better quality book from them no matter where you live.

    ReplyDelete