Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Dawoud Bey "Class Pictures" (2007)






My project Class Pictures consists of portraits of a wide range of American high school students, along with self authored texts by each of the students that hopefully creates a rich and complex sense of the individual. I think young people have been depicted in a very one dimensional way within our social culture, and I want to challenge that by making pictures of young people that have a real depth to them, that portrays them as the complex people that I believe they are. Through the book and traveling exhibition, hopefully the work will have a real impact. I do want to impact people's thinking through my work, and I want to impact the way that they think about and regard young people in our society


Dawoud Bey was also part of the USA Network "Character Project" (see video below)

No comments:

Post a Comment