Tuesday, March 17, 2009

William Claxton memorial


Last night, Monday night at LACMA's Bing Theater, friends and family of William Claxton came together to celebrate his life. Speakers include his wife Peggy Moffitt along with publisher Benedikt Taschen, lyricist Bernie Taupin, gallery owner David Fahey and photographer Herman Leonard. Singer Burt Bacharach gave a performance as well did Steve Tyrell.

William Claxton died October 11, 2008 of complications from congestive heart failure at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center. He was one day away from his 81st birthday.

He's probably most known for his images of Chet Baker

"I was up all night developing when the face appeared in the developing tray," Claxton told the Irish Times in 2005. "A tough demeanor and a good physique but an angelic face with pale white skin and, the craziest thing, one tooth missing -- he'd been in a fight. I thought, my God, that's Chet Baker."

I had a privilege of meeting him once back in my 20s. He's probably the only photographer I've ever gone up to get an autograph. I dug through my belongings and found the polaroid from that day. Thank you Mr. Claxton.

LA Times obituary
WireImage - William Claxton memorial

No comments:

Post a Comment